Hey! Is it possible to feel something you can’t touch?
Well I can guarantee you that the skipping rope is something you feel long after you have put the rope down!
If you are wondering how you can transform those tedious and boring workouts you’ve been doing into something WAY more fun…such as going down a roller coaster at TOP speed? If so, then keep reading!
Ok, so call me crazy but there’s something really cool about freestyling the skipping rope that can tap into important body systems that will help you build muscle and burn fat. The anaerobic and the aerobic system are 2 systems that are directly involved when we incorporate the skipping rope. In more simple terms, the more intense and explosive your skipping workouts are will determine how likely you are to use the anaerobic system. The benefits of this include an increase in fat burning in a shorter period of time, as it creates more demand in energy from your body which translates into a greater need for epoc – excess post oxygen consumption, or poetically named “afterburn effect.” By popular demand it puts your body in a higher metabolic rate for a longer period of time and requires more time to bring your energy back to normal. This then results in an increase amount of fat burning post exercise! An example of this would be high knee jumps with the COREFX Thin-Grip Speed Rope.
Before You Jump:
- Maintain your balance by looking straight ahead.
- Maintain an upright posture.
- Maintain your weight on the balls of your feet.
- Jump only high enough to clear the rope (approx. 1 inch off the ground).
- Land lightly on the balls of your feet.
- Keep your elbows near your sides.
- Maintain your elbow joints at a 45-degree angle.
- When turning the rope, make 2-inch circles with your wrists.
- Do not sacrifice good form for speed.
Alternating Single-Foot Jumps:
Once you’ve gotten comfortable jumping with both feet at the same time, try alternating feet, like you are jogging in place while the rope passes beneath you on each step. It will take some practice to get the hang of this, and it may feel awkward at first, but in time you should feel just as natural jumping in this fashion as with both feet together.
In addition, to alternating feet on every jump, I recommend practicing repeated single-foot jumps. For example, perform two left-foot jumps followed by two right-foot jumps. Again, stay light on your feet and keep your weight toward your toes.
Now that both your form and technique is where it should be, it’s time to take things to the next level! To burn fat, it is important to incorporate a plyometric form of training which involves explosive movement, which can further increase the oxygen demand for the body, and allow for you to rely on your good buddy the anaerobic system! Your goal is to jump with your feet 1/4 to 1/2 inches off the ground, while moving the rope around your head and under your feet at a comfortable pace.
How to complete high knee jumps:
- Jump up knees first and tuck your knees to your chest
- At the same time while holding onto the handle bars of the rope complete a revolution so the rope goes over your head in the front forward direction and under your feet.
- Repeat this without pausing for 30seconds -60seconds (rest for 20-30seconds in between and repeat x10.)
- To make this easier include small jumps in between each knee tuck where your feet only get off the ground 1/4 to 1/2 inch to catch your breath and prepare for the next knee tuck.
- To make this harder you can complete a double revolution with the skipping rope so that the rope travels up over your head and under your feet 2x before your few touch the ground after your knee tuck.
For all of your training levels there are a variety of skipping ropes that will fit your specific needs and help you achieve your goals!
COREFX Thin-Grip Speed Rope:
Designed for speed with it’s ultra-thin cable bushing design, improving spin control and efficiency! Easily adjustable to custom suit you for optimal performance!
COREFX Soft Grip Speed Rope:
Designed for the ultimate comfort with it’s lightweight handles and ergonomic grip! Easily adjustable to fit to your body and your needs!
COREFX Speed Rope:
Designed for optimal grip with it’s TPR web non-slip handles. Features adjustable rope length with it’s removable handle caps!
COREFX Double Under Speed Rope:
Designed for CrossFit double unders and speed jumping. Made from ultra-thin cable encased in vinyl with a unique handle connection point for maximum rotation speed!
Remember, the next time you are deciding between going on a roller coaster, or hanging with some friends you’ll be glad you chose the skipping rope and a corner in the gym, trust me.
It’s GO TIME. Let’s see what you can do!
This is a guest post featuring: Master Trainer, Jason Christo
Jason Christo is a Master Trainer and health and wellness author of over 10 years, that has helped people around the world realize their health and body goals. This former semi professional athlete has a degree in psychology which he has used to expand into his fitness business with an approach that always includes motivational and empowering components specifically designed to give his clients the edge. He is an outside the box trainer that tests the limits of what people think they can achieve in order to get them to places they never thought possible.